Prep Team Tested at PHC Event

The Boys’ Prep Hockey team traveled to Rhode Island on November 11 to play in the first Prep Hockey Conference event of the year. They were set to face Shattuck St. Mary’s, Culver Academy, and Saint Andrews College, all elite teams who would be great competition for Northwood School. These games were also especially important since the team needed conference wins. The Huskies had a 0-2-2 record in the league and that needed to improve. Here is how the weekend played out.

The boys traveled to Rhode Island on Friday to get there in time to prepare for the Saturday morning game against Shattuck, a team that opponents must start quickly against. The game started with a dominant push by the Huskies. Shattuck could barely keep up with them. Shattuck’s slow start allowed the boys to score early. It wasn’t until late in the second period that the momentum started to swing away from the Huskies. A lucky shot from the corner trickled into the Huskies’ net with less than two minutes until intermission. As Coach Morris likes to say, “we do not give up goals late” and this is exactly why: it pumps life into the opposing team. The dominant first 2 periods were preceded by a weak third resulting in Shattuck scoring 3 goals to end the game 4-1. This was not the start that the boys wanted.

Due to some compressor failures at the Mount St. Charles Arena, the Sunday game against Culver was not only delayed but also switched to a completely different rink. This produced some confusion, but the team still made it with plenty of time to the new arena to play the game. The Culver game seemed to be a mirror image of the Shattuck game. Instead of allowing the team in late in the game, the Huskies had a slow start, letting Culver get an early lead. After the first intermission and for the next two periods, the Huskies dominated the Culver team as they had played against Shattuck. Sadly, this push by the team wasn’t enough to climb out of the hole they were in. The game ended in a heartbreaking 3-2 loss.

The last game of the weekend was on Monday against Saint Andrews College, a team that the Huskies dominated in all but one contest last year. The boys were fired up from the previous 2 losses and came out strong. The team held it together for two great periods, putting in a goal to give themselves a lead. SAC responded with two goals and the Huskies needed to act fast in the third period, so the game didn’t get away from them like the others. A spectacular goal by Cole Bauman ‘23 late in the third period allowed the team to even the score at 2-2. Not long after Cole tied the game, a miscommunication on a line change caused a too many men penalty to be called against the Huskies before heading into overtime. Being down a man going into overtime allowed SAC to put in the deciding goal. Although this was the most complete game the Huskies played, it wasn’t enough to tally a win on the weekend.

The team faced a true test at the event, and we can imagine that there are changes that need to be made so that the team can build the identity they desire. The team will face teams of this caliber for the rest of the season, and they need to find a way to overcome this slump. The boys will be heading to Stanstead College this weekend to play in a showcase, and the team must show its true might despite the previous weekend’s results.

We wish the team continued luck and give them continued support so that they can have the success they are looking for. Have a great Thanksgiving break and as always Go Huskies!


Story Archive

The Mirror was established in 1927
© 2015-2022 by the Staff of The Mirror
The Mirror's Policy Manual and Style Guide.
The Mirror is funded by gifts to the Northwood Fund. Thank you.

%d bloggers like this: