Soccer Team Fares Well Against Canadian Rivals

The Boys’ Soccer team recent had four home games against the Canadian teams Woodbridge Soccer Club and St. Andrews College. The boys collectively finished 2-1-1–the U18s had one win and one loss, and the U19s had a win and a draw.

Jon Sinclair

Jon Sinclair ’20 in action against St. Andrew’s College (Photo: Mr. Michael Aldridge).

On Saturday, the games kicked off with the U19s playing St. Andrew’s College. Northwood came out fast, hoping to bounce back from their loss against High Mowing two weeks earlier. In the opening minutes of the game, Tomas Restrepo ‘20 scored a header, lobbing the goalkeeper to get the momentum going. Soon after, Ryan Combe ‘20 added to the score. Just before the half, Mateo Rodriguez ‘20 scored a header off a corner, making the scoreline 3-0 going into the half. Coming out into the second half, the Huskies were still out looking to put more goals away with a goal from Matías Valenzuela ‘20 and another header from Alvaro Garcia ‘20, ending the game in a 5-0 win.

Right after the final whistle for the U19s’ game, the younger boys stepped onto the field and faced Woodbridge. Throughout the game, Northwood dominated the game and created many scoring opportunities but was unable to find the back of the net. The game ended in a 3-0 loss for the Huskies.

On Sunday, the U18s played against St. Andrew’s despite the rough weather. The boys were determined to make up for their tough loss the day before. Unfortunately, they allowed a goal early in the match, but Luke Smith ‘21 finished his left-footed shot, tying the game at 1-1 at the half. To start the second half, Peter Tcheleshev ‘22 scored a goal, giving Northwood the lead. As the second half went back and forth, St. Andrew’s was able to get one back to make the scoreline even once again. With little time left, Gian Franco Rodriguez ‘21 put away the game-winner. The U18s won 3-2, ending their weekend 1-1.

Soon after the younger team’s win, the U19s took the field, looking to beat Woodbridge. Northwood went into half time losing 1-0. In the second half, the Huskies got themselves a free kick just outside the box. Restrepo stepped up and whipped a ball into the near post, which squeezed in between the post and the keeper. With the score tied at 1-1, both teams found themselves creating many chances, but none went in until the last 12 minutes when Woodbridge scored off a counter-attack. With time running out, Northwood continued to fight and won another free kick in the final minute of the game. Combe put his shot, which the Woodbridge keeper got a hand to. But the keeper could not keep out the second attempt followed up by Santiago Matheu ‘20. The game finished in a 2-2 draw, and the U19s went 1-0-1 on the weekend.


Story Archive

The Mirror was established in 1927
© 2015-2022 by the Staff of The Mirror
The Mirror's Policy Manual and Style Guide.
The Mirror is funded by gifts to the Northwood Fund. Thank you.