Junior Hockey Team goes 2-2 in Beantown Showcase

The Junior Hockey team traveled to Boston for the Beantown Showcase recently, eager to play after a weekend without games.

Kannon Flageolle

Kannon Flageolle ’21 in action (Photo: Michael Aldridge)

Starting off the weekend against the York Skipjacks, the Huskies were ready for the defensive battle. As the game began, both teams got excellent scoring opportunities. However, neither was able to find the back of the net throughout the first two periods of the game. With the third period starting, both teams were eager to break the tie and score the first goal of the weekend. The battle continued without any goals, sending the game to overtime. Once overtime began, Northwood had full control of the puck. Ray Fust ‘21 scored to get the first win of the weekend.

The following morning, Northwood faced off against Honeybaked, a team from Detroit, MI. Honeybaked struck first, scoring nine minutes into the first period. Responding shortly after were the Huskies as they scored just a few minutes afterward. With the second period starting in a tie, the lead was up for grabs. About halfway through the second period, Honeybaked retook the edge. As the game went on, the Junior team couldn’t find a way to respond, leaving them with a loss of 2-1.

That night, the Junior team matched up against the New Hampshire Jr. Monarchs. Getting off to a good start was Elijah Devereaux ‘20, who found the back of the net midway through the first period. Northwood held the Monarchs to no goals through the first, leading the game heading into the second. The lead did not last long, however, as the opponent scored. A quick response came from Mark Monaco ‘21, who gave the team the lead again. Right before the end of the second period, New Hampshire tied the game after two periods of play. As the battling went on through the third period, the Monarchs scored four unanswered goals with just minutes left in the game. Fust scored a goal, but it wasn’t enough. The Junior team fell to a final of 6-3.

In the final match of the weekend, the Huskies faced the Junior Bruins. As the game began, Northwood got off to a great start by scoring three goals and shutting down the other team. Maintaining the solid play, Northwood dominated the game and scored two more goals. With about five minutes left, the Bruins scored their first goal of the game. The Juniors responded quickly by a goal from Fust. Northwood ended the game at 6-2 and the weekend with a record of 2-2.


Story Archive

The Mirror was established in 1927
© 2015-2022 by the Staff of The Mirror
The Mirror's Policy Manual and Style Guide.
The Mirror is funded by gifts to the Northwood Fund. Thank you.

%d bloggers like this: